Thursday, April 10, 2008

American Idol

I will admit that we are big fans of American Idol, since season 1. We love the show, love the songs, love rooting for our favorites, have even been known to vote a time or two. We've always been excited when one of the idols will sing a Christian song and think how courageous they had to be to go out and sing that song on tv. Well, this season, something different is going on. Actually it has been these last 2 weeks that have been the most surprising. Two weeks ago, they had a new band on the show performing. This new group played an upbeat version of "This Little Light of Mine". Needless to say, we were a little caught off guard, but hey, it's a new group, they don't have anything to lose, right? That same night, Dolly Pardon was on and she sang a song called Jesus and Gravity. Here are some of the words from her song...

"'Cause I've got Somethin' lifting me up Somethin' holding me down Somethin' to give me wings and Somethin' to keep my feet on the ground I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Jesus, I've got Jesus, I've got Jesus He's my everything He lifts me up He gives me wings He gives me hope and He gives me strength and that's all I'll ever need As long as He keeps lifting me up He is my life He is my God He is my wings He is my flight Lift me, I've got Jesus, I've got Jesus and that's all I need."

That is quite a powerful message, but again, it's Dolly Pardon. I'm not a fan of hers by any means, but I know she is a huge star, and if she wants to sing it I'm sure there aren't too many people who would tell her she can't! :)

So, that brings us to tonights show. The contestants who haven't been voted off yet sing a group song each week on elimination night. Tonight nearly blew Francis and I away. They sang Shout to the Lord... all eight of them who haven't been eliminated yet. What an amazing performance and in front of so many people. I don't know what is going on... if these decisions are being made by producers or what, but I have to say how neat it is to see such a willingness to have these songs sung and performed for such a large audience. It may only be a shortlived thing... but how amazing it has been to see! :)

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Very cool... I missed this happening... partly because we are not AI fans. I wonder if it has ever happened again?